The Cyprus Centre for Environmental Research and Education (CY.C.E.R.E) is organizing in collaboration with other environmental agencies various Conferences for natural environment and sustainability. The participants of these events are mostly students and teachers of all levels, as also young researchers and scientists.
The Naturalist / Biology / Geography Inspection of the Secondary Education Administration of the Ministry of Education and Culture in collaboration with the Cyprus Centre for Environmental Research and Education (CY.C.E.R.E) of the Holy Bishopry of Limassol are organizing the 2nd Pancyprian Student Conference for the Environment and Sustainability. The Conference is supported by the following collaborative agencies:
- Environmental Education Research group of the Cyprus University
- School of Education of the Frederick University
- Department of Science and Technology of the Cyprus Technological University
- Cyprus Biological Society
- Naturalists / Biologists Association of OELMEK
- Cyprus Marine Environment Protection Association – CYMEPA
The Conference will be held on the 9th of April at the Conference Room of the Holy Bishopry of Limassol, Ellados and Enoseos corner, 3041 Limassol, 9:00 – 13:00.
The Conference is addressed to student groups (regardless the number of participants) of Secondary Education (and the accompanying teachers) planning and preparing environmental projects in their schools or within the framework of an environmental education project or a contest, or within the framework of student boards of Municipalities or after individual initiative of students and teachers.
Each school can submit up to two (2) projects.
The 2nd Pancyprian Student Conference for the Environment and Sustainability aims at:
- Promoting the year goal for improving the educational results in the context of cultivating learning culture with great educational aims that will be achieved with cooperation amongst students and teachers.
- Giving the chance to students groups and their accompanying teachers to present their projects regarding the environment and sustainability.
- Cultivating active citizenship and linking schools with the community and cooperative agents.
- Giving the chance of spreading information, experiences and methods.
- Cultivating creativity, critical thinking, reflective knowledge management, the ability of converting theory into practice, teamwork, use of technological information and communication, and also the democratic intervention in social events aiming at the changes required for the development of sustainability.
The projects must be in the form of a scientific poster. The file “Instructions for the development of a poster” includes all the help needed for creating the poster and is attached. A number of posters will be selected to be presented from the students’ groups in the form of a 10 minute oral presentation (with the use of Power Point).
The selection criteria for oral presentation of the project are Creativity, Integrity, Originality, and Scientific Validity.
Each project submitted should be listed under in of the following thematic areas of Education for the Environment and Sustainability.
Wastes, Desertification, Tourism, Urban development, Transportation means
Poverty, Biodiversity, Water, Environment and Health, Forest, Production and Consumption, Climate change, Energy, Environment and Culture, Sustainable living
Schools with active student environmental groups that are interested in participating at the Conference by submitting a poster should:
- Complete the and promote Application Form attached electronically at
[email protected], Inspection of Naturalism / Biology / Geography by the 30th of January 2016 and
- Promote a Copy of the Poster presented at the Conference in the form of PDF at
[email protected], Inspection of Naturalism / Biology / Geography by the 11th of March.
1st, 2nd and 3rd prize will be awarded for the Greater Poster as also 1st, 2nd and 3rd prize will be awarded for Greater Presentation at the Conference.
The coordinating school for organizing the Conference is the Agias Phylaxeos Lyceum of Limassol in collaboration with the Inspection of Naturalism / Biology / Geography. For further information you may contact Dr. Demetra Hadjihambi tel. 22809306. Thursday – Friday.
* Greek Language